Me, My Self, and I

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Between You, Me, and The Big Black Old Trunk

I have gone. The journey was over. You haven’t found me yet. Maybe I got into the wrong tunnel. Or maybe you waited for me at the wrong station.

I bought a ticket, but I never got into that train. I walked down the path, instead, completely with my tired legs and big black old trunk. The trunk was so heavy, and I tried to empty it. But, I found myself couldn’t do it.

Then, I realized. The trunk was full of my memories; the good ones, and the bad ones. They were about them, and him, and you, and me, and us as well. I had only one choice; I had to throw out the trunk and its contents or I brought it for the rest of my life. I knew it very consciously; the trunk was the only one that I had left.

I made my decision because you were not here. I left her, the other side of me, with you. She was all you’ve ever really wanted. I brought that big black old trunk with me. I brought all the past. I brought all the memories. I brought all you’ve never wanted.

I made another trunk, the beautiful new trunk; white with purple embroidery of flowers on it. I left it with her, as a memento for her and for you.

Things have been so hard lately. And it got harder every time I measured the distance between you and me. The further I stepped, the harder it went. Between you, me, and that big black old trunk, there wasn’t any chain anymore. But, why was the trunk getting heavier every time I made a little step?